Objectives - The course in Ceramics and Pottery primarily aims at providing facilities for creative exploration of this most basic yet potential medium. The student is basically made to experiment with the plasticity of clay. Use of potter's wheel, various techniques in preparing clay articles, methods of glazing, firing techniques, and creative concepts in terra-cotta.
The course being practical biased the student shall study the methods and processes involved, know the various clays used, and evolve various 3-D forms.
The student learns the basic design concepts of aesthetic and functional value.
Design Execution / Application
Practical's in making various clay articles, preparing shapes on the potters wheel and construction of forms by the pinching, coil, carving and slab methods. Realization of visualized designs. Practical's in biscuit firing, glazing in limited colours.
Materials and Machineries used in ceramics, Types of different clays. Tools, equipments, methods, processes and firing techniques.
Some knowledge about the manufacture of ceramics in commercial/ studio.
Syllabus / structure for 7 month hobby class of ceramic and pottery
- 15 assignments of practical in 7 months
- 2 assignments of each method (over all covering 8 assignments with 1 simple and 1 advance design)
- Pinching method
- Slab method
- Coil method
- 7 assignments covering all the above methods mix and match. For example:
- Pinching and slab method
- Pinching and coil method
- Slab and coil method
- Slab and throwing method
- coil and throwing method
- throwing and pinching method
- one of your choice
- Projects and Research Assignments:
- Any contemporary ceramic artist and the methods used by him.
- Different methods of firing detailed description of anyone.
- Different ceramic decorations detailed description of anyone.
- Market survey about ceramic products.
- Can include 1 or 2 studio visits.